January 3, 2009

Floral Tie Guan Yin




This tea I just got yesterday from Upton,s Floral Tie Guan Yin Superior is it,s official name. A new arrival at Upton,s Tea. I love Upton,s for the vast selection in just about any category of tea. A 100 gm. bags price is $25.40. A fair price for a premium tea. Anxi Oolongs are not something I buy very often but every once in a while I read a vendors description and they make it sound so delicious that I cave and order some but most of the time I,m not all that impressed with them. First thing I notice after opening the bag is the pungent freshness of this tea. The dry leaf pellets are a rich and healthy green color. The aroma of the infused leaf is rich, vegetal with the aroma of spring flowers. Upton,s describes the aroma as "Orchid" I don't really smell any specific flower but the floral thing is pretty dominant. Also the faintest hint of ripe fruit. After a three minute infusion with 175 degree water the tea,s aroma is quite pungent. (in a good way) At first I tried using hotter water but it killed a lot of the floral aroma so I found by lowering the temperature a bit helps to retain the teas character. Durability is O.K. I get about four good pot,s and then it runs out of any flavors that are interesting. Brews a golden cup with a slight greenish tint. What I like about this Tie Guan Yin is that it doesn't have that heavy green taste that most of the others Ive tried have. I like this tea and am enjoying it but I wouldn't buy it again. I guess I,m just not that fond of Anxi Oolongs.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Anxi oolongs - I've tried several and only liked one very expensive one. On the other hand I generally like all Taiwan oolongs from green-like Gao Shan cha to heavily roasted Muzha TGY. I also like Wuyi and DanCong oolongs as well. I thought maybe I was the only one who didn't find the Anxi oolongs to be a favorite. Guess not! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, the only one Ive tried that I really liked was a Silk TGY from Seven Cups. But for the amount of money it costs there are other teas I,d rather spend the money on.

    ReplyDelete